Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Awesome Video Game Character! - Girl Edition

Growing up as a girl gamer back in the 80s and 90s, it was a little difficult to find people to talk to about games. My Brothers, a driving influence into me even getting started on games, were a decent source, but they had their own lives and friends and didn't always have time to talk to me, as well as having slightly different interests in gaming a large portion of the time.

Due to this, and the fact that most guys considered video games to be only for males (with the exception of Barbie, which most girls would "never" realize were horribly designed games), it was difficult on me at points. I'd later develop some really good friends, of both genders, who had the same interests as me, and would have a lot of fun. But, before that, I had to deal with the strange looks I got for being a girl, and knowing games.

I also had the unfortunate, or maybe fortunate, issue of hating the idea that girls were weak and had to be saved. Zelda only impressed me in the animated cartoon, after all, because she'd at least try very hard to defend herself. Rosa was awesome, despite getting kidnapped repeatedly, because she could still deal out a decent amount of damage, but it was truly hard to find a good, strong woman at the time. In fact, the first one I actually remember was Chun-Li, and although I do like her, she was never a favorite.

It wasn't until I really started hitting up arcades, and found this one particular cabinet, that I found a girl I truly and utterly loved, because not only was she still gentle, but she was strong as well. That girl, you ask? Well...


Nakoruru - Samurai Shodown

Yes, that's right, one of my favorite girls of all time is Nakoruru from SNK Neo-Geo's Samurai Shodown (Samurai Spirits in Japan) fighter.

When I played Samurai Shodown, I was introduced to a woman who was not only gentle and pretty, but could hold her own against the many men who were also fighters in the game, using her speed, her sword, and the assistance of her pet hawk, Mamahaha.

Yes, this was the kind of woman I liked, and it really didn't hurt that the game itself was awesome. It also didn't hurt that, in further games, her Bust side would be this almost demonic half who used a wolf, and was just about as awesome as the original Slash half.

Now, even as time has gone on, and even as my list of favorite females has grown, Nakoruru is one of those who doesn't leave it. She really does hold a special place in my heart, and it was really too bad that she was taken out in later versions of Samurai Shodown. Still, I can always go back to the games she was in, and enjoy kicking some butt.

Below, I've included some pictures of Nakoruru for your enjoyment. Do enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment